Saturday 13 April 2013

Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2) by Tahereh Mafi



Rating: 3*

Awh man I really was stuck trying to give this book a rating. I'll tell you the good points first:

As usual, Tahereh Mafi's beautifully poetic and colourful prose astounded me. Her writing is amazing and unique. 

Secondly, the concepts are interesting. I'll say no more on that.

Thirdly, I love the dilemma Mafi has created for Juiliette which is between Warner and Adam.

Fourthly, Kenji.

I read it in a day (a day which I skipped all but one of my college lessons to read it in) and couldn't put the book down despite all rational reasons that I should have.

On the contrary, I think my expectations were a little high (as you can see in the photo above of me before reading it) for this book because unfortunately it did not meet them. I preferred the first book so much more. There was exciting tension within the drama, action and dialogue in Shatter Me, which I think Unravel Me lacked. I actually loved the first book that much that I think I read it 2 or 3 times. 

I regretfully found my self bored reading this, particularly in the first fifty percent of the book where nothing seemed to be happening and Juliette was just on a bratty self-sympathetic mind wondrous journey. Ughh. I hate when characters go on about how much they hate themselves for too long, especially when they shouldn't. 

Needless to say, I enjoyed learning a bit more about Warner and seeing how his character developed but I don't know, for some reason I found myself disliking him. I liked him more in the first book.. (don't hurt me please!)

Anyhow, if my rating was based on the the quality of Mafi's writing, it would definitely be a 5* however I had to chop the 2 stars off thanks to me being probably far too opinionated for my own good.

No comments: